Friday, September 06, 2019

saintly names?

A friend of mine and I were sitting on the porch of Starbucks on North Roan Street in Johnson City enjoying a cool, bright morning with coffee and each others company. Across the way was the Sears/Diehard store and in their parking lot was a van available for rent for storage. I don’t know why or what but I picked up on the idea of “van storage” as a name “Van St. Orage.” (Very French!) That opened the gate to try a few words that begin with “st” as names.

These things get out of hand sometimes.

I have about 25 pages of words beginning with “st” in my dictionary and I tried my hand at sounding out a few until the brain began to swell.

Stadia becomes St. Adia.
Stolen becomes St. Olen.
Strange becomes St. Range.
Standard becomes St. Andard.

But, if you’re looking for a character name, who is also a saint but doesn't have to be, and are not ashamed to write too much contrivance, this might be a start, at least, although probably not a good habit for your finished work.

stain
stagnate
Stalin
steady
stemma
stereo
strangle

Good luck!
###

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. Thanks. If in doubt about which profile to choose from, use "anonymous."

<< Home